Here are the headlines from around the league and the Cubs:
- The Marlins bolstered their bullpen by signing Brad Ziegler to a 2 year deal worth $16M with an opportunity to earn $2M more through incentives.
- This comes on the heels of the Fish signing Junichi Tazawa last week and gives them a very strong bullpen on paper.
- Ziegler was a name the Cubs were attached to this offseason, but that much money doesn’t make much sense considering all the other pieces they have added this winter.
- Buster Olney said that there is “rampant speculation” throughout baseball is predicting that Matt Wieters will end up with the Nationals before all is said and done.
- The Nats did add Derek Norris via trade this offseason, but I don’t see that precluding them from also signing Wieters, especially when you consider that the Nats have swung and missed (or overpaid) on almost everything they wanted to do this offseason.
- Nathan Eovaldi is getting some interest from the Rays as they decide what pitching to go after this offseason.