Here are today’s headlines for the Cubs and around the league:
- The Rockies signed Mike Dunn to a 3 year deal worth $19M that also comes with a 4th year option (rumored to be worth $6M).
- Dunn was with the Marlins last year and had very respectable numbers (3.40 ERA with 8.1 K/9) that he turned into a rather huge payday.
- He has made just under $9M in his career thus far, but now will make almost 3 times that in the next 4 years. LHP are extremely valuable and Dunn hit the market at the right time.
- The Phillies signed Odubel Herrera to a 5 year extension worth $30.5M with 2 option years added on (worth $11.5M and $12.5M).
- This is great for both sides, though these deals seem to favor the team more than the player. It gives the team cost certainty while also providing security for the player, but if Herrera turns into a monster he could have potentially left a ton of money on the table while also giving up his prime years of free agency.
- Herrera was worth 3.8 WAR last season (4 WAR his first season), when he slashed .286/.361/.420 with 15 …Read the Rest
Source:: Cubs Insider