TSS*: Sometimes you have to tip your cap to a great opponent with a great pitching staff. Other times, your cap falls off because you facepalm so hard.
- At least this wasn’t an extra inning game.
- Justin Wilson had a scoreless, two strikeout inning.
- The Cubs struck out Joey Votto twice, which should be something like 10% of his season total.
- Tyler Chatwood had an extremely Tyler Chatwood start, walking six but getting a zillion ground balls and allowing a single run.
- Said run was a RBI groundout following a Eugenio Suarez triple that was greatly aided by some awful defense by Ian Happ. He had a lousy day all around in CF today.
- At least he was the ‘best’ Cubs hitter at the plate – he was the only starting position player with a positive WPA on the day. I thought Rizzo would have taken the negative WPA crown easily following his inning ending bases clogged strikeout down one in the eighth, but his early HBP put him ‘ahead’ of Willson Contreras, who earned that honor.
Next up: Jon Lester vs Cody Reed at 5:40 PM CT, assuming this game doesn’t get washed out. DeRosa knows the bullpen could use an extra day of …Read the Rest
Source:: Obstructed View