As always, MLBTR is publishing Offseason Outlooks for all 30 teams. This is the first post in the series.
For the first time in franchise history, the Cubs reached the playoffs in four consecutive years. However, a loss to the Rockies in the Wild Card game left a bitter taste in the Cubs’ mouths and the front office must make significant additions to the offense and bullpen.
- Jason Heyward, OF: $106MM through 2023 (may opt out of contract)
- Jon Lester, SP: $47.5MM through 2020. Includes mutual/vesting option for 2021.
- Yu Darvish, SP: $101MM through 2023
- Ben Zobrist, INF/OF: $12MM through 2019
- Tyler Chatwood, SP/RP: $25.5MM through 2020
- Brandon Morrow,RP: $12MM through 2019. Includes vesting option for 2020.
- Anthony Rizzo, 1B: $13MM through 2019. Includes club options for 2020 and ’21.
- Steve Cishek, RP: $7.5MM through 2019
- Brian Duensing, RP: $3.5MM through 2019
- Drew Smyly, SP: $7MM through 2019
Source:: MLB Trade Rumors