The struggles of left-hander Justin Wilson following a trade to the Cubs perplexed not only Chicago evaluators but execs throughout the league, writes Sahadev Sharma of The Athletic (subscription required and highly recommended). Sharma spoke to both Cubs manager Joe Maddon and GM Jed Hoyer about Wilson’s troubles, and Maddon made it clear that he views Wilson as an important part of the ‘pen for the upcoming 2018 season. Hoyer, meanwhile, acknowledged that some of the blame likely falls on the organization, especially considering that these sort of struggles have happened in the past. (Sharma points to Adam Warren as one prominent example.) “…[W]e’ve had a number of guys who have come in and struggled beyond what they’ve done in the past,” Hoyer tells Sharma. “That’s something we have looked at and will continue to look at and talk about how we ‘onboard’ guys, so to speak. … We’ve been, candidly, somewhat frustrated by it and we’ll keep working on it.”
- Next story Latest on Cubs’ Pursuit of Pitching Reveals, Well, Very Little (But it’s All We’ve Got)
- Previous story Cubs’ Kyle Schwarber attracts rave reviews with new physique
- Jason Heyward Predicts Cubs MVP Will Be…Jason Heyward?
- 2017 Cubs victories revisited, August 16: Cubs 7, Reds 6
- Cubs System Position-by Position: Right-Handed Starters, Pt 2
- One MLB executive thinks Kyle Schwarber can emerge as Cubs’ best hitter in 2018
- The low-key move that may pay dividends for Cubs in 2018 and beyond
About Cubs Chronicles
Cubs Chronicles is a news aggregation service for all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. We scour the internet to find the most interesting stories, new items, rumors and discussion related to your Chicago National League Ball Club. No longer do you need to go to multiple sources to find Cubs news, you can get it all right here at the Cubs Chronicles!!
For information on how to add your blog or cubs related website to Cubs Chronicles, please email us your rss feed at email@example.com.