Spring Training has kicked off in full force, as every team started games this week. Games will continue for a little over a month before the season officially kicks off on April 2nd. There was a lot of action across the NL Central, so here’s a quick look around the week that was in the division.
- Played two split-squad games, with team 1 losing to the Giants 8-6 and team 2 defeating the A’s, 4-3.
- Mike Montgomery and Rob Zastryzny started the games, pitching one inning each.
- Re-signed Pedro Strop to a $5.85M contract extension for 2018 with a $6.25M club option for 2019.
St. Louis Cardinals
- Lost their first Spring Training game, 8-7 against the Marlins.
- Dexter Fowler scored twice, along with two walks atop the Cardinals order.
- Signed Cuban outfielder Jose Adolis Garcia to a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training.
- Swept their first two split-squad games, 6-2 over the Orioles and 7-2 over the Rays.
- Gregory Polanco paced the Buccos, going 3-3 with 2 RBI, not bad for the first time seeing in-game pitching in months.
- Set the first three members of their rotation for 2017. Ace Gerrit Cole leads the way, followed by young hotshot Jameson Taillon and Ivan Nova.